araalinusa: r da godz payin' attention?

Crazy as it might seem, I'm back in NW Florida: home, (bitter) sweet home. This is only a temporary gig, so I'm tryin' to make the most of it. Fun times...

Monday, July 10, 2006

Celebrating

Independence



Ok, I promised to post about my 4th of July celebration. A week later, and here it is. I spend a fantastic day at Beacon Hill with my friend Holly, and her family’s annual picnic. Apparently this year it was dubbed “Dana’s picnic.” Their family is very close, and they get together for most big holiday. Independence Day is Holly’s mom’s favorite holiday of the year. I’ve tagged along to many of their family’s festivities over the years, but this was my first 4th of July. Like I said, they are very close. They really enjoy each other’s company, but if you are not a member of the family, forget it. Most of them could care less if you are there are not. Like I said, I’ve attended many of their functions over the past 20-something years. Some of the family members acted like they had no idea who I was. Funny, funny.


In the evening, we went into Port St. Joe and watched the fireworks. This was the first time in countless years that I’d watched fireworks on 4th of July. Yes, I’ve been living overseas the past several years, but I usually make it to the states for June and July. I was pretty impressed with the show. I really took me back to my childhood. Things have changed so much in Port St. Joe since I left there 12 years ago. It has gone from an industrial port town to a quaint little tourist destination. The paper mill shut down eight years ago and was dismantled. Million-dollar homes and condos have sprung up all over the place on land that was once considered of little value. Some people are getting very rich while others feel like they are losing their way of life.


The coastal area where I’m from is sometimes referred to as the “Redneck Riviera.” I know, cute. Doesn’t that just make you want to pack your bags and book a vacation in the area. The ads on the radio from the development companies are stating, “We’re taking the redneck out of the riviera.” The locals are lovin’ that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home