Sugar, Honey, Darlin', DearSomething was going down at the Waffle House near Marianna.
Having a pecan waffle from Waffle House has become a yearly tradition for me. When I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Uganda, this was the food item I craved from the States. When I came home for a visit in 2004, I think I shocked my mother when she picked me up from the airport and asked me what I wanted to eat, and the fist thing I wanted was a Pecan Waffle. I craved one today, and because I was just off the the interstate near Marianna, I decided to teat myself. My waitress called me every sweet name in the book: sugar, honey, darlin', dear. I was eatin' it up.
Well, while I was waiting for my food to be prepared, one of the waitresses stormed out of the restaurant, and the rest of the staff was left standing with their mouths open, looking confused. Then there was some yelling about her being in no condition to drive. (What are they doing there behind the counter?) Another waitress was sent out to take care of the previous one. Then they left. They the staff had a conversation about what makes a good wife and how to keep your husband happy: give him a clean home, take care of the children, and cook his food. (How simple!) One of the women proclaimed, "Men are so simple. We women are too complicated!"
Then the whole staff turned its attention to what was going on at the gas station across the way. Apparently, the husband of the woman who rushed out earlier had arrived. Something was going on in the parking lot of the gas station across the way. That was my cue to pay my bill, tip the waitress, and leave.
Everyone else is doing it. Why can't I?
1. How old do you wish you were?
Twenty-four was a good age. I could still realistically harbor the dream of being in a world-famous boy band.
2. Where were you when 9/11 happened?
In the shower getting ready to leave for the office. I came out of the bathroom, and one of my roommates (a brainless basketball player) said, "Dude, a plane just hit the World Trade Center." Then I saw the second plane crash.
3. What do you do when vending machines steal your money?
Beat on the glass a bit, and I always attempt to get my hand in through the bottom door if no one is looking. That had never worked.
4. Do you consider yourself kind?
5. If you had to get a tattoo, where and what would it be?
I have one of a sun with a Samoan design in the middle. If I had
to get another, I'd probably get it in the groin area of my right side. I'm not sure what I'd get, maybe a frog. It would be just black ink. I hate tattoos with color. Not attractive.
6. If you could be fluent in any other language what would it be?
I'd like to know Swahili.
7. Do you know your neighbors?
I'm in transition right now. Right now I'm hanging out at my mothers previous home, and my neighbor is my grandmother. I would say that I know here, yes.
8. What do you consider a vacation?
Vacations are so hard for me because my mind is always racing, working on the next project. A vacation would be time that I am able to relax and not think of what I have to do next.
9. Do you follow your horoscope?
10. Would you move for the person you loved?
11. Are you touchy feely?
I can be. It's healthy sometimes.
12. Do you believe that opposites attract?
My bestfriends are my opposites. People who are too much like me get on my last nerve.
13. Dream job?
Working on educational projects in developing nations. Education saves lives. Education leads to understanding and respect. It also opens the doors to so many opportunities.
14. Favorite channels?
MTV, TLC, Bravo, Food Network
15. Favorite place to go on a weekend?
A coffee shop for breakfast, the beach, a friends house, a quaint cafe, a laid back pub, maybe a dance club with no cover. I hate cover charges!
16. Showers or Bath?
I love to be shriveled up like a prune. A bath!
17. Do you paint your nails?
Sometimes I put on a clear coat. It is nice to be pampered, even if I have to pamper myself.
18. Do you trust people easily?
It depends on the vibe I get from you. Usually, yes.
19. What are your phobias?
Sharks at the beach, alligators in a lake. I've recently discoved that I have a fear of heights. I wouldn't call it a phobia.
20. Do you want kids?
Biological? Are you kidding me? Where would I put 'em? I'd like to adopt.
21. Do you keep a handwritten journal?
On and off. I found my journal from highschool yesterday. I thought that I'd burned it. I have a very clear memory of burning my high school journal in a moment of guilt and depression, but I found it yesterday. Some spooky Mary Poppins action is going on.
22. Where would you rather be right now?
23. What makes you feel warm and safe?
Someone else's embrace.
24. Heavy or light sleep?
25. Are you paranoid?
26. Are you impatient?
No. See, I am virtuous!
27. Who can you relate to?
Britney Spears. I, too, wish the paparazzi would leave me alone. Plus, I cry when I'm hungry.
28. How do you feel about interracial couples?
Gotta love 'em.
29. Have you been burned by love?
No, but I've done some burning. Yes, I truly have.
30. Whats ur life motto? All I do is the best I can
or Just breath
31. What's your main ringtone on your mobile?
I just sold my phone. My last ringtone was "Milkshake" by Kelis. And it is betta than yours.
32. What were you doing at midnight last night?
33. Who was your last text message from?
Hmmm... Probably Nicole Ashley (requesting a booty call from across the hall, no doubt).
34. Who's bed did you sleep in last night?
My mom's former bed. She moved out last November.
35. What color shirt are you wearing?
I'm currently topless.
36. Most recent movie you watched?
I just watched Whale Rider
yesterday. I loved it. What a fantastic story!
37. Name five things you have on you at all times?
One nipple ring, one navel ring, one tattoo, eyeglasses, and chapstick.
38. What color are your bed sheets?
Yellow and orange. I know, HAWT!
39. How much cash do you have on you right now?
Maybe three dollars (if I'm lucky).
40. What is your favorite part of chicken?
I'm a breast man.
41. What's your favorite town/city?
42. Who got you to join MySpace?
Nicole Ashley (is a realy myspace whore). Yes, she drug me into the seedy underworld of myspace. Actually, she helped me get in touch with some old friends that I'd not seen in years.
43. What did you have for dinner last night?
Dinner... A slice of ham with a piece of provolone cheese.
44. How tall are you barefoot?
45. Have you ever smoked crack?
Despite what people might think and contrary to my behavior, the answer is: NO! However, I know people who have and do. (Sad. They look like a skeleton and Skeletor.) I held it in my hands once.
46. Do you own a gun?
No. Hell no. When I was cleaning my room last week, I discovered on under my bed, and it freaked me out a little. Like I said, I'm staying in my mother's previous home. Anything is possible. Nothing should surprise me.
47. What do you prefer to drink in the morning?
I always dring a big glass of water first thing in the morning. Besides that I love a glass of juice in the mornings.
48. What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex?
My sex appeal.
49. Do you have A.D.D.?
Once again, I'm blaming this on Nicole Ashley. I think that I caught it from her.
50. What time did you wake up today?
Around 10:00am. It was a sleep-in Sunday.
51. Current worry?
I'm going to have a problem getting my visa to Uganda. I've traveled there there several times and never had a problem before. I just worry. It's what I do.
52. Current hate?
53. Favorite place to be?
With friends having great conversation, preferably with food.
54. Where would you like to travel?
Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Australia, Brazil, Portugal and Spain.
55. Where do you think you'll be in 10 yrs?
Sittin' on top of the world.
56. Last thing you ate?
57. What songs do you sing in the shower?
Anything. My shower set is so random. Sometimes I just make up songs. I'll sing about current worries, happiness, to-do lists. It might be a current top 40, favorite classics, or songs that I hate. I'm the king of remixing. I'll sing familiar lyrics with new tunes.
58. Last person that made you laugh?
Maximus, my friend Holly's four year-old son.
59. Worst injury you've ever had?
I broke my arm when I was 7.
60. Does someone have a crush on you?
I'll flatter myself and say, yes. Everybody is looking at me, right?
61. What is your favorite candy?
It is a toss-up between peanut m&m's and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I also love Mr. Goodbar.
Next meal out:The palace, Cow Palace